Since 6 April 2008, an energy performance certificate has been required on rented property in England and Wales. You must have a valid EPC priori to marketing the property, the prospective landlord and agent (if there is an agent) must use all reasonable efforts to secure that a valid energy performance certificate is obtained for the building before the end of a period of 7 days starting with the day on which the building was first put on the market.

In relation to a dwelling and a failure to commission before marketing or make available / give an EPC to a tenant, the penalty is £200.00. Where the building is not a dwelling (commercial buildings) the penalty is calculated by the formula found in regulation 38 with a minimum of £500 and maximum of £5000.

We at Kingswood, have fully trained staff that carry out the EPC for you, so please let one of our property specialist know if your property requires one and we would be more than happy to help.

The cost for an EPC is £60.00

Gas Safeties

As a landlord, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants in relation to gas safety. By law you must:

  • Repair and maintain gas pipework, flues and appliances in safe condition
  • Ensure an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue
  • Keep a record of each safety check

You should also keep your tenants informed about their responsibilities while they are staying in your property

As we commit ourselves to the highest level of standard in the industry at Kingswood Estates all our gas work is carried out by CORGI Registered gas Engineers.

We can arrange for a corgi gas safety check for your property at a cost of £80.00. Speak to one of our property specialists.

Electrical Safety

Landlords - your electrical safety obligations

Electrical Safety First has found that landlords are exposing themselves to significant financial risks, from fines and invalidated insurance, through not acting on their electrical safety obligations.

Landlords are also putting millions of UK private tenants at risk of serious accident or fire. We have clarified your obligations for electrical safety in rental properties to help you keep your tenants safe.

Your responsibilities as a landlord

Landlords are required by law to ensure:

  • That the electrical installation in a rented property is safe when tenants move in and maintained in a safe condition throughout its duration.
  • That a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) has a periodic inspection carried out on the property every five years.
  • If your property is not an HMO, you are not legally obliged to do this. However, we recommend that a periodic inspection and test is carried out by a registered electrician on your rental properties at least every five years.
  • That any appliance provided is safe and has at least the CE marking (which is the manufacturer’s claim that it meets all the requirements of European law).
  • To meet these requirements a landlord will need to regularly carry out basic safety checks to ensure that the electrical installation and appliances are safe and working.

We can arrange for a NIE Electrical safety check check for your property at a cost of £120.00. Speak to one of our property specialists.

(c) Copyright Kingswood Estates Ltd | All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Sales T&Cs | Lettings T&Cs